• Heat an iron kadai. Add mustard seeds, jeera and let them splutter. Add bengal gram dal 1 tsp, urad/black gram dal 1 tsp and let them turn brown. Add slit green chillies and curry leaves.
• Add chopped onion, fresh peas (can add any vegetable), moringa leaves (can add any green leafy vegetable), close the pan and let them cook. keep stirring in between..
• In the meantime, boil water in a thick bottom pan. Add unrefined salt. As the water boils, add jowar flour, on a low flame. Mix well and keep it covered for 5 mins. Transfer the cooked flour into a plate and knead the dough well. Pinch out marble size dough & roll them well. Steam them for 20 mins in a steamer/idly vessel.
• Now transfer these steamed balls into the vegetable masala pan and mix well.
• Let all these cook for 5 mins, on medium flame. Stir in between.
• Finally adjust salt, garnish with grated coconut & coriander.
Makes a healthy evening snack with complex carbs from whole grain (jowar flour), good amounts of protein from peas, lots of vitamins, minerals & fibre from the vegetables & greens used.
A health conscious mom.